Monday, July 13, 2009

Oh, Charley.






I am sure you're familiar with Charley Harper's work, but for those who stumble and find themselves here, I do hope this makes you light up and smile. Charley has an unmistakable minimal and vibrant style that I have come to adore.

When once asked to describe his art style, Harper replied, "When I look at a wildlife or nature subject, I don’t see the feathers in the wings, I just count the wings. I see exciting shapes, color combinations, patterns, textures, fascinating behavior and endless possibilities for making interesting pictures. I regard the picture as an ecosystem in which all the elements are interrelated, interdependent, perfectly balanced, without trimming or unutilized parts; and herein lies the lure of painting; in a world of chaos, the picture is one small rectangle in which the artist can create an ordered universe."

His books and any work you may be able to fill a wall or room with come highly recommended. So simple and beautiful - simple geometry in nature. Divine.
- sky -

No comments:

Post a Comment